Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, October 24, 2011

Money for chores??

Hi Peeps,
I am going to rant for a split second...
Now, I get that I was raised a wee bit stricter than most other kids. With that being said, my outlook on how to raise my kids is a wee bit more stricter than others.

For example, I don't believe in allowance. I believe that all people in a household should hold responsibility (appropriate for the age). I don't get paid for doing laundry or cleaning the dishes... why would I pay my kids? Rewards for good behavior, being helpful, and so on should come in other forms than handing them cash once a week.

I have been reading a few things about kids getting allowances for learning to do their chores. This includes young'ins learning to brush their teeth. Really? We need to give kids money for that?

Yikes... rant over.

1 comment:

  1. haha! So my mom went to education week and learned about this family that had a "family economy". They could earn money (not by doing regular chores, but by doing extra things, like scrubbing base boards, etc.), and then they could borrow money or add money to the family bank. They found it taught there kids about loans and interest rates and everything, before they even left the house. I thought it was a cool idea, but yeah, I agree, allowance is not to get you to do what you SHOULD do. If we do it, it will be to teach finances.

    ReplyDelete