Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

Little Drummer Boy

My favorite Christmas song is "The little Drummer Boy".
Anytime I hear this song it makes me tear up. I can not listen to these words without thinking how much I feel like the drummer boy who doesn't have anything great and wonderful to give sometimes except the most simpliest of gestures.

When the Holiday season rolls around, I am gently reminded of all I have been blessed with and how much John and I have to be grateful for. We eat (probably a bit too much if you ask me) :), we have a nice place to live, we both have great jobs, and most of all wonderful families!

Growing up my parents did a great job of teaching us all about the spirit of Christmas. It wasn't always about presents and treats. It was about the birth of our Savior and what we do for one another to continue to spread the Spirit during this holiday season.

My parents taught us through example by adopting families for Christmas even if the budget was already tight and taking breakfast to the homeless early Christmas morning.

To me that is what Christmas is about... its those simple gestures.

Like the Drummer Boy; I dont have a lot to offer, but what I do have, I can do "my best for Him"!

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

4 comments:

  1. The Drummer Boy is one of our favorite Christmas songs, too. I love how you fed the homeless on Christmas morning. What wonderful memories that I'm sure you will pass on to your own family.

    Merry Christmas Powells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I never really read the words like that! How sweet! The song really just made me think of Angela from the office. It's her favorite song and wanted to walk down the isle to it! haha

    Sweet post megs! :) See you sooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim! Merry Christmas to your family as well.

    HAHA! Chelsea you would think of something from the office! ;) I am very excited to come home! I am in the throws of Christmas parties and Christmas baking and am ready to come home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! We all have so much to be grateful for. You guys are awesome. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete